Our seminar class was given the pleasure to visit the site of the Sasha Bruce Youthwork in Washington D.C where their main concern is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, neglected, and other at-risk youth and their families in the metropolitan D.C. area. I was able to tour the site/house where the runaway children are housed. I never pictured runaway kids being housed in an actual house. This house, which is the only one of it's kind in Washington, D.C. can unfortunately only house 10 children. This is exceptionally sad because what if there is an 11th runaway child who needs to be housed. That child will have no where to stay because of the shortage of beds. I feel that because the Sasha Bruce house is the only one of it's kind, it should be able to house more children. Another thing that I noticed was the fact that it is not government funded. All of their monies come from private entities. I feel that the government should be a huge part of this movement because this involves the welfare of the children, families and communities.
One of the biggest problem with the Sasha Bruce house is that they only house the children for up to two weeks. I feel that it is not enough time to try to work out the kinks within a household. Two weeks is definitely not enough time to try to solve long lasting problems in a family. But I do see why they can only stay for a short period of time which is because there isn't enough space when other children need to be housed for the same reasons. At the house, we were able to interact with the children and see their everyday schedule while there.
No comments:
Post a Comment