Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Exhausted

Tired, worn out, fatigued, zonked, enervated and drained are some of the words that can be used to describe the way that I felt this morning when I woke up at 6 to get ready for work. I rolled over and immediately said to myself, "10 more minutes". Then I found myself contemplating whether or not I could make it all the way to Virginia. I then decided that I wasn't going to go to avoid falling asleep while at work. Since I decided not to go, I thought that I would get back in bed and go to sleep until around 12 or 1 o'clock. Nope, not at all! I couldn't fall asleep. Due to the fact that I already called my supervisor, I couldn't change my mind about going to work. 

I could not fall asleep, no matter how hard I tried and it baffled me as to why. After numerous attempts, it was understood that I wasn't going to get any sleep. I then decided that I was going to the Superior Court to follow up on the murder trial that I'd been following for the past 2 weeks because this had became my only free day for the entire week. I got to the courtroom and luckily one of the co-defendants were on the stand testifying. He is the only co-defendant of four who decided that he wanted to give testimony. The other three waived their right. I was extremely shocked when the defendant repeated some of the things that the District Attorney said to him, none at which she denied. The defendant was doing a better job at defending himself against the District Attorney than his lawyer was. At one point, the DA even started to shout at the defendant. The judge immediately instructed her to tone her voice down while cross examining the defendant. For the most part, the defendant was calm and relaxed while testifying.

Since I started following up this case 2 weeks ago, I have been able to meet and talk to three of the four defense attorneys. I was also able to talk to and meet the judge appointed to that particular case. It is so funny that even the marshals assigned to the case knows my name which is mostly because I check too much electronic devices in with them. I forgot to mention that due to the fact that this is a high profile case, civilians may not enter the courtroom with electronic devices and they must be fully searched before entering. Closing arguments are next week and then that's it, case closed. I do hope that sentencing is sometime soon (not during Spring Break) because I would love to attend the sentencing of a murder.

1 comment:

  1. This is may be my favorite post thus far. As I read, I could visualize and imagine the look of sleep on your face, the defendant on the stand, the shouting DA, and even the whole security-check ritual that you go through every time you enter the courtroom. Great use of descriptive words to bring your Washington, DC experience to life for us Sian. Excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete