Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Longest Day Ever

Today felt like one of the longest days ever. I left the house without eating because I overslept. Luckily when I got to Union Station, the Metro was just pulling up. As I got to Tenleytown, the American University shuttle was parked outside. I was extremely happy because I didn't want to walk to class, though it was literally 5 minutes or less away. I got to the auditorium and there was over 50 students patiently waiting. This was a very important day especially for the Journalism majors. Today was the day that they were able to meet Bob Schieffer. Many of you might not know him by his name, but when you see him, you will automatically say, "That's the guy that does the CBS Evening News"! Bob Schieffer has been working for CBS since 1969 and has been one of the few broadcast or print journalists to have covered all four of the major Washington national assignments. Cool huh?

Now! For all of my Justice makers, I have a treat for you. I was also able to meet Cynthia Jones. If you don't go to American University's Washington College of Law, then you probably don't know who she is. However, Miss Jones is a phenomenal person. Currently she is a professor at AU's College of Law. She is the former Director of the Public Defender Service in Washington, DC and also the former Deputy Director of the Pretrial Agency. She said that she became a lawyer to be the voice of people who can't help themselves. She made sure that her clients, whether innocent or guilty got the best treatment possible. I enjoyed the seminar with her because I got to hear about real life case that she dealt with.

After the seminar, I made my way down to the Superior Court to continue viewing the murder trial that I began attending last week. I got in at the end of the cross examination of one of the witnesses. Following the murder trial, I went to the Howard University area so that I could go to the hair store. Surprisingly, while I was in the hair store, I saw my best friend who attends Howard University. We didn't even plan to meet there. How does the saying go? I believe it is, "Great minds think alike"! We then talked for a bit then I was on my way. When I got to the Judiciary Square station, one stop away from my stop, the train decides to malfunction. Everyone then had to get off and wait for another train. Though I was exceedingly upset, I tried to calm myself down by calling a friend. Some guys a the station then heard my accent and tried to talk to me. They approached me and said, "Do you know the name of that Serani song"? I said, "No". Then one of them asked, "Aren't you from Jamaica". I replied, "Uhh NO"! Fortunately, the Metro came in the nick of time. I got to where I was going; stopped at the overpriced corner store to buy a bottle of juice and the rest is history!

1 comment:

  1. What a day you had Sian. I especially liked the ending:"...and the rest is history."

    ReplyDelete