Thursday, February 17, 2011

Misfortune

Whenever I'm extra early, something always seem to go wrong. This morning started a little later, 10:30 to be exact. We were instructed to meet our professor at the Supreme Court for a tour. When I heard court, I automatically thought that it was located in Judiciary Square where both the District and the Superior Courts are. I got to Judiciary Square and there was no Supreme Court to be found. I immediately called one of my classmates (which I should have done in the first place). She then said that it's located in Capitol Hill. I felt so silly standing down at Judiciary Square when I found out. The reason being that I LIVE IN CAPITOL HILL. It was then too late for me to make it back to the Supreme Court in time. Therefore, I missed out on a wonderful opportunity.

Later in the afternoon however, I was able to meet District Court Judge Reggie B. Walton who has been a judge there for 9 years. I was able to view a sentencing of two people. Unfortunately none of them were sentenced to time in prison because obviously Judge Walton has a heart. He, himself said that both defendants deserves to be incarcerated. I was a little disappointed with the sentencing, but I'm sure that my court watches at the Superior Court will make up for it. For the past two weeks, I've been observing a homicide case from 2008 that involves 4 co-defendants. They all pled not guilty and has been going through a rough trial from since January 31st. So far, it has been exceptionally interesting; the cross examinations, the witnesses, the evidence, etc. I was even able to network with all the defense attorneys along with Judge Motley, the presiding judge on this trial. I also started viewing another homicide case that dates back to 2005. This one is a little less different because there is only one defendant, therefore making it less exciting. Nonetheless, today was extremely thrilling because one of the witnesses decided that he was going to plead the 5th on the stand while being cross examined by the prosecutor. Another interesting event was that the defendant had a cellphone on him during the trial. That's not even the funny part. The funny part is that it rung in the middle of cross examinations. Poor guy got it taken away from him and was handcuffed for the rest of the trial.

Though today was not one of my most eventful days, it was definitely one of my most enjoyable because I was able to sit, relax, enjoy a day of justice making.

1 comment:

  1. "Misfortune ...disappointed." "Exceptionally interesting …most enjoyable."
    It appears to me that you had a balanced day. Your day of “misfortune,” seemingly ended on a relatively good note. Interesting… storybook ending then…? :)

    ReplyDelete