Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chocolate City

I never thought that I would ever live in Washington, DC. This is the place where I got my first job, actually used public transportation, where canned food costs $3.00 at the corner store, where bills are signed, presidents were assassinated, panhandling isn't a fulltime job, and last but not least, where President Barack Obama lives. Who ever thought that this is where I would live?

Living in Washington, DC for the past month has taught me so much. Though it has only been 31 days, I feel like its been so much longer. Thus far, I've learned time management. DC is very small, therefore, its either you're on time or it makes no sense to go at all. I also learned how to use the Metro. The Metro in Washington, DC is fast, convenient and dependable. The only problem is that people from DC, Maryland and Virginia ride it, especially during rush hours. Unfortunately, I always end up riding it during rush hour either to go to class or to my internship. This is both the worst and the most expensive time to use the Metro. I say that it's the worst because the train gets overcrowded, people start pushing and I never get a seat. During this time, I always get lost when transferring.

Aside from all my Metro complications, Washington, DC is a very beautiful city with tons of national and historic sites. There is always something to do when in Washington, DC.

Did you guys know that:

The White House was originally called the President's House or the President's Palace. One day a Baltimore reporter called it the "white house" in a newspaper posting and the name caught on. President Theodore Roosevelt made this the official name in 1901.

Just as the Supreme Court didn't get a permanent home until 1932, the government did not provide an official residence for the Vice President until 1974.

The National Gallery of Art is home to the Ginevra de Benci, the only Leonardo da Vinci painting in the Western Hemisphere.

The Library of Congress, the biggest library in the United States, contains 535 mines of bookshelves. In the Reading Room alone, there are 45,000 reference books.

The District of Columbia was named after the great explorer Christopher Columbus.








1 comment:

  1. Two things:Number one. Why did you name this post "Chocolate City," Does the name have anything to with the Washington, D.C.?
    Number two. I actually learned something! Great job on your first blog post Sian!

    ReplyDelete