Our teachers told us about 2 weeks ago that we would be able to observe a case at the Supreme Court. I already saw a few at the Superior Court and a few at the District Court. All that was left was to see one at the Supreme Court. The only condition is that we had to come to the court at 6 a.m. to wait for a 10 a.m. case to start. I woke up pretty early, probably around 4 a.m. so that I could get ready. I left the house with my breakfast in hand and walked over to the Supreme Court. When I got there, it was exactly 6 o'clock. I was exceedingly shocked because there were tons of people already standing in line from before 6. These people were literally camping out with blanket and throw pillows from before 6 a.m.
At about 7 o'clock, I started to get extraordinarily cold. My toes and fingers were numb. My ears felt as though they were going to fall off. My face, arms, and I'm sure legs had goosebumps all over them. By that time, I felt like I was one of the people in the Atlantic Ocean after the Titanic sunk. When I say cold, I mean below 20 degrees. Everyone was beginning to get cranky and restless. At around 7:30, they started handing out general admission tickets to be able to see the case. I was number 56, and unfortunately, only the first 50 are guaranteed seating. After hearing that, I felt unaccomplished. Six o'clock, remember? I finally was able to get out of the cold right after the tickets were handed out. We were sent to the court's cafeteria where we were directed to stay there until 8:30. We then had to all go back outside to come back inside again.
At around 10:00, I was let in. I was so excited to finally being able to see a Supreme Court ruling along with getting out of the cold. The case was basically about a DUI charge.
No comments:
Post a Comment