Thursday, March 31, 2011

Journal Reflection of my Internship

The International Association of Chiefs of Police is the world's largest nonprofit membership organization of police executives, with over 20,000 members in over 100 different countries. IACP's leadership consists of the operating chiefs executives of international, federal, state and local agencies of all sizes. The mission of the IACP is to advance professional police services; promote enhanced administrative, technical, and operational police practices; foster cooperation  and the exchange of information and experience among police leaders and police organizations of recognized professional and technical standing throughout the world. They work towards championing the recruitment and training of qualified persons int he police profession and encourage all police personnel worldwide to achieve and maintain the highest standards of ethics, integrity, community interaction and professional conduct.


Currently, I intern with the prestigious organization. My first impression of the International Association of Chiefs of Police was that they are well organized and professional. I got this premonition when I came to my interview. The receptionist was well mannered along with the director who interviewed me. Mike Wager who is now my boss asked me a couple questions, went over my resume with me, and welcomed me to the staff of the IACP. Another impression that I gathered from working there is that everyone here does a really good job with communicating. I get tons of email everyday informing me on current issues, changes, etc within the IACP. If I ever have a question or concern, I simply email it to the respective person and within a matter of minutes, I usually get a response. A final impression that I gathered is that all my co-workers are mighty friendly. I was the last intern to be hired a month after the Spring 2011 Internships opportunities were closed off until Summer 2011. Everyone in the office welcomed me with open arms.


Throughout my time here at the IACP, I expect to learn new things especially about policing. I expect to build an unbreakable bond with my co-workers that will last a lifetime. I also would like to be treated not like a student, but like a regular worker. Through working with the International Association of Chiefs of Police, I expect to be challenged in every way possible because I know I can do it. I expect to work on very important projects that are aimed to assist the police with better strategies of policing. I want to be able to leave my internship at the International Association of Chiefs of Police feeling accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment